You are here

Today's Mine Action News (8th February 2017)

Posted on February, 8 2017

ASIA

Afghanistan
For Afghan Children, A Year Even More Brutal Than The Last
[WBUR News] In Afghanistan, the number of civilian casualties reached an all-time high in 2016, the United Nations reported Monday. Nearly 11,500 civilians were killed and wounded in the country last year — including more than 3,500 children. It is an overall increase of 3 percent compared with 2015, which was the previous record-high since the U.N. began systematic documentation in 2009.

Cambodia
UXO Op Underway in Prey Veng Province
[Phnom Penh Post] The Cambodian Mine Action Centre (CMAC) began removing an aerial bomb found behind a house in Prey Veng province’s Cheurng Prey commune yesterday, according to a CMAC announcement.

Landmine Kills One, Wounds Three
[Cambodia Daily] Villagers digging up tree stumps to make furniture accidentally detonated an anti-personnel landmine in Oddar Meanchey province, killing a man and injuring his son and two others in the third fatal landmine explosion this year.

Iraq
Mosul Mine, Explosives Removal Could Cost $50 Million - U.N.
[Reuters] A programme to remove mines, explosives and booby traps left by Islamic State forces in and around the Iraqi city of Mosul could cost $50 million, United Nations officials said on Tuesday. The U.N. Mine Action Service (UNMAS) had previously estimated costs for Iraq as a whole at $50 million this year, but said this could double because of Mosul.

EUROPE

Kosovo
The Hunt for the Hidden Bombs and Landmines of Kosovo
[Wired] The Bomb Hunters of Kosovo roam the country on foot, searching for explosives that dot the landscape 17 years after the Kosovo War. The slightest disturbance can cause an explosion, making the work so risky that the men and women who do it insisted that Emanuele Amighetti wear body armor and helmet just to photograph them.

GLOBAL

Opening Rermarks by Mr. Michael Møller, Director-General of UNOG - 20th International Meeting of National Mine Action Programme Directors and United Nations Advisers
[UNOG] A warm welcome to the Palais des Nations and happy birthday as we mark the 20th anniversary of the adoption of the Anti-Personnel Mine Ban Convention and of the United Nations Mine Action Service. Let me take the opportunity to thank the organizers of this important meeting. 

UN Calls for 50 per cent Increase in Funding for Humanitarian Mine Action
[UN]  The latest United Nations Portfolio of Mine Action projects shows a sharp increase in the need for humanitarian mine action, including landmine clearance, risk education and victim assistance, in conflict and post-conflict settings around the world. The online Portfolio of Mine Action Projects 2017 presents an overall requirement
for USD 511 million, a 50% increase from last year’s USD 347 million consolidated appeal. 

Need for Clearance of Landmines and Other Explosive Hazards Remains Acute
[VoA] The United Nations Mine Action Service is appealing for more than half-a-billion dollars, a 50 percent increase from last year's appeal, to clear landmines and other explosive hazards in 22 countries and territories.

Venti anni di UNMAS: Italia, ONU, Ong celebrano a Ginevra
[OnuItalia] Twenty years of Mine Action: Needs-driven, people-centred”: questo il tema della 20ma Riunione internazionale dei Direttori dei programmi nazionali di sminamento umanitario e degli organi competenti delle Nazioni Unite in corso da ieri a Ginevra.

 

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for non-commercial purpose. Therefore, please do not share this material with others outside of your institution.   

Disclaimer: The United Nations is not responsible for the content of external links. Opinions expressed in the articles do not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations.